Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Frizzled Ham
This side dish, a refreshing twist on the usual steamed or roasted Brussels sprouts,
would be delicious along side a holiday pork roast – but it’s just as nice with
a weeknight pork chop. If you like, substitute bacon or sliced or shredded leftover
pork for the ham.
- 6 slices ham, (about 3 ounces), cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 3/4 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, outer leaves removed
- 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups shallots, thinly sliced (8 to 10)
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar OR white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Working in batches, place the Brussels sprouts in the feed tube of a food processor
fitted with a thin slicing disk and slice. (If you don’t have a food processor with
a thin slicing disk, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts by hand.)
- Zest the orange, then squeeze 1/4 cup of orange juice (save any remaining orange
for another use). Set Brussels sprouts, orange zest, and orange juice aside.
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add
the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisped and golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer ham to a plate and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook,
stirring occasionally, until almost translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the Brussels sprouts. Stir in the orange zest and orange juice and cook,
stirring occasionally, until Brussels sprouts are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pine nuts and vinegar. Season with salt
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, top with the ham, and serve.
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Servings: 8
Nutrition Information: Calories: 240 calories Protein: 11 grams Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 45 milligrams Cholesterol: 20 milligrams Saturated Fat: 3 grams Carbohydrates:
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Pork Board
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.