This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Smart Harvest Stuffing
As one of the great complements to any fall or winter meal, this lower saturated
fat and calorie version of stuffing using walnuts provides a delicious option for
- 5 or 6 slices whole wheat bread (8 ounces) (day-old or even stale is okay)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups minced onion
- 1 stalk minced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (possibly more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced or crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water or broth (possibly more)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup minced California walnuts, lightly toasted
- Up to 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Toast the bread until crisp, then dice into small pieces. Set aside.
- Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat and wait about a minute. Add olive
oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion, celery, salt, and seasoning. Sauté
over medium heat for about 5 to 8 minutes, until onion is translucent and celery
- Add garlic, wild rice, and cranberries, and sauté for another 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the bread and mix to combine. Sprinkle in the lemon juice and pour in
the broth, mixing them both using a large fork. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are stuffing a bird, it is now ready. If you are not planning to bake
it inside a bird, check to see if it is moist enough for your taste. If not, you
can add some more broth or water, and transfer it to a lightly greased (or nonstick-sprayed)
baking dish, cover tightly with foil, and heat just before serving.
- Serve hot, with walnuts mixed in right before serving, and topped with pomegranate
seeds, if available.
Calories: 310 Total Fat: 16 g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Monounsaturated Fat: 4
g Polyunsaturated Fat: 10 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 320 mg Total
Carbohydrate: 36 g Dietary Fiber: 7 g Protein: 9 g
Created by: Mollie Katzen
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
California Walnut Commission