Smart Harvest Stuffing
As one of the great complements to any fall or winter meal, this lower saturated
fat and calorie version of stuffing using walnuts provides a delicious option for
- 5 or 6 slices whole wheat bread (8 ounces) (day-old or even stale is okay)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups minced onion
- 1 stalk minced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (possibly more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon
minced or crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water or broth (possibly more)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup minced California walnuts, lightly
- Up to 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Toast the bread until crisp, then dice into small pieces. Set aside.
- Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat and wait about a minute. Add olive
oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion, celery, salt, and seasoning. Sauté
over medium heat for about 5 to 8 minutes, until onion is translucent and celery
- Add garlic, wild rice, and cranberries, and sauté for another 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the bread and mix to combine. Sprinkle in the lemon juice and pour in
the broth, mixing them both using a large fork. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are stuffing a bird, it is now ready. If you are not planning to bake
it inside a bird, check to see if it is moist enough for your taste. If not, you
can add some more broth or water, and transfer it to a lightly greased (or nonstick-sprayed)
baking dish, cover tightly with foil, and heat just before serving.
- Serve hot, with walnuts mixed in right before serving, and topped with pomegranate
seeds, if available.
Calories: 310 Total Fat: 16 g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Monounsaturated Fat: 4
g Polyunsaturated Fat: 10 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 320 mg Total
Carbohydrate: 36 g Dietary Fiber: 7 g Protein: 9 g
Created by: Mollie Katzen
Recipe and photo credit: California Walnut Commission.