Southern Cornbread and Oyster Dressing
DO NOT MAKE THIS THE DAY BEFORE SERVING! Make it just before baking and serving.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained
- 1/2 cup oyster liquid, from drained oysters
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté onions and celery in 2 tablespoons of the butter until wilted, not browned.
- Combine cornbread and bread crumbs in a large bowl; mix in sauteed onions, salt
and pepper, and parsley.
- Add beaten eggs and toss more; moisten with the oyster
liquid until moist but not soggy.
- Add the oysters.
- Pat the mixture into a lightly buttered rectangular cake pan (it should make
a 1-inch layer in the pan).
- Dot with remaining butter and bake about 45 minutes,
until golden brown and set in the center.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.