- 3 slices bacon
- 2 heads freshly cut swamp cabbage (hearts of palm), chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat. Set aside, reserving drippings.
- Put swamp cabbage and remaining ingredients, including fried bacon and bacon
drippings, in a 6-quart pot. Fill the pot 1/2 full with water and bring to a
boil. Continue to boil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
- Adjust salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot as a side dish.
Total Time: 25 min | Prep: 5 min | Cook: 20 min | Yield: 8 to 10 side servings
If reheating leftovers, you must bring to a full boil again.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Side Dish Recipes