- 6 large baking potatoes, scrubbed (about 3 pounds)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Place each half, cut side down, on cutting board
and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick shoestrings.
- Place shoestrings in a mixing bowl
and toss with desired seasoning mixture (see accompanying recipes) or salt and pepper
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil, and coat the foil lightly with nonstick cooking
spray. Divide potatoes between the 2 pans and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes;
remove from oven and turn over the potato slices.
- Return pans to the oven and bake
another 10 to 15 minutes, until potatoes are lightly browned and fork-tender.
Onion-Paprika Fries: In a small bowl combine 2 teaspoons paprika,
1 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. For a spicier mixture, add 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic-Pepper Fries: In a small bowl, combine 1/4 teaspoon garlic
powder, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. For more
zip, double up on the garlic and pepper.
Chili Fries: In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon chili powder,
1 teaspoon cumin powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. For more heat, add 1 teaspoon crushed
red pepper flakes.