This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 ounce assorted dried wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Add dried mushrooms to boiling water and let steep for at least 10 minutes, until
water is dark brown.
- Drain off mushrooms. Discard them or finely chop and add back into gravy later.
- Melt butter and oil together in a medium, nonstick saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour and whisk until smooth and thick.
- Whisk in mushroom liquid and vegetable broth and heat just to boiling. Add remaining
ingredients, whisk and simmer another 5 to 7 minutes.
- If returning chopped mushrooms to gravy, do so now.
Yield: about 3 cups or 12 (1/4 cup) servings
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 11/24/2001 10:47 am.