Cheddar Cheese Crisps
A hearty snack using sharp cheddar cheese and ground almonds.
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Salt, preferably sea or kosher
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- About 3 cups panko (coarse Japanese) or plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) crosswise slices from 8-ounce bar Cabot Sharp Cheddar
- Vegetable oil
- Marinara sauce (optional)
- In small bowl, combine flour with pinch of salt and pepper.
- In second small bowl,
beat together egg whites and milk with fork or whisk until combined.
- In third bowl,
stir together breadcrumbs and almonds.
- Dip both sides of each cheese slice into flour, then egg white mixture, then
breadcrumb mixture, making sure slice is completely covered. Place on large plate
or baking sheet and place in freezer until firm, about 10 minutes. Discard any unused
- Place large nonstick skillet over high heat and add enough oil to lightly cover
bottom. When oil is hot, add frozen cheddar slices. Cook until golden brown on underside,
then turn over and cook until golden on second side and melted inside.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping, if using.
Yield: 12 snack servings
Recipe courtesy of chef Jon Ashton.
Recipe and photo credit: Cabot Creamery - cabocheese.coop.