Chipotle Cheddar Bacon Snack Mix
- 12 ounces (16 slices) center cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, optional
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/3 cup chipotle hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecan halves
- 2 cups pretzel nuggets
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin aged cheddar, shredded
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Top two rimmed baking sheets with wire racks.
bacon strips in single layer on racks, leaving at least 1/2 inch between strips.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp, but not burned.
- Brush with maple syrup and sprinkle with chipotle powder (if using).
- Bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Cut bacon strips into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees F.
- In large bowl, whisk together melted butter, chipotle hot sauce and salt.
- Add cereal, pecan halves and pretzels. Mix well.
- Add cheddar and mix well to incorporate.
- Spread mixture over 2 rimmed baking sheets in even single layer.
- Bake for 1 hour, mixing every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Divide bacon pieces evenly between two sheets and mix well.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
Yield: about 9 cups
Recipe and photo credit: Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin