Dress-Your-Own Potato Chips
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 medium potatoes (Yukon gold, russets or sweet potatoes*)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 cups peanut or canola oil
* Sweet potatoes will take longer to fry, about 5-7 minutes.
- First, prepare the seasoning (below) so that it is ready as soon
as the potatoes have cooked.
- Using a mandolin, food processor or a very sharp knife, slice the
potatoes into very thin rounds. Be sure to slice them as evenly
as possible. Rinse the potatoes under cool running water.
- Place the slices in a large bowl, then add enough cool water to
cover. Add the salt, stir to dissolve, then let sit for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook the chips, place the oil in a large saucepan.
Heat over medium until the oil reaches 325 degrees F.
- Drain the potatoes and, working in batches, use a towel to pat the
slices dry. Carefully add a quarter of the slices to the oil and
fry until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the thickness
of your slices.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the potatoes from
the oil and set on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
with one of the following seasoning blends (or your own), then serve.
Start to finish: 45 minutes | Servings: 6
Truffle-Herb: Drizzle the potato chips with 2 teaspoons truffle
oil, then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt mixed with 1 teaspoon
minced fresh thyme and 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary.
Five-Spice: Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.
Chocolate: Mix 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon
powdered sugar. Also can add a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of
Parmesan Pepper: Drizzle the potato chips with 1 tablespoon melted
ghee, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered (canned) Parmesan
cheese mixed with 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Snack Recipes