- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal, stone ground, if possible
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Stir cornmeal gradually into the water, and when perfectly smooth,
add butter and salt.
- Spread dough evenly on an inverted buttered
14 x 9-inch baking pan no more than 1/8 inch thick, and bake at
350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- Immediately cut into strips about 1/2 inch x 3 inches and remove
them carefully to a rack with a spatula.
- Heat vegetable oil 2 inches deep in a wok or skillet until hot but
not smoking. Add strips, a few at a time, and cook until crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Salt to taste.