Black Bean Soup with
Cumin and Cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups dry black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 large vegetable bouillon cube
- 8 cups water
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 5 to 6 drops of liquid smoke
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- Hot sauce as desired
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté
for 5 minutes.
- Mix in beans and spices. Add bouillon and water. Bring to boil. Reduce
heat; cover and simmer until beans are tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 to
3 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, celery and liquid smoke. Cook about 30 more minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Serve each portion of soup with a lime wedge and hot sauce as desired.