Black-Eyed Pea and Collard Greens
Soup with Smoked Sausage
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 pound 97% fat-free kielbasa or smoked sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, diced potato
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 5 ounces frozen collard or turnip greens or spinach
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut the sausage in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a large pot over medium, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook, stirring
often, until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, black-eyed peas, greens or spinach, broth and water. Bring
to a simmer, cover the pot and cook over low heat until the potatoes are tender,
about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information: 279 calories; 102 calories from fat (36 percent of
total calories); 11 g fat (4 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 40 mg cholesterol; 32
g carbohydrate; 16 g protein; 6 g fiber; 971 mg sodium
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bean Soup Recipes