Garlic Lentil Soup
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked red lentils
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon Celtic salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring vegetable broth to boil in heavy kettle over high heat. Add lentils, tomatoes,
garlic and half the onions. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add remaining onions and cook
until soft and deeply browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Place lentil mixture in food processor or blender and puree for one minute. Return
soup to kettle over low heat and stir in seasonings. Heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in browned onions.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: What Would Jesus Eat cookbook