Lentil-Veggie Soup with Cheddar Croutons
Looking for a meatless meal that's still hearty and filling? Look no further than our lactose free lentil veggie soup with tangy cheddar croutons. Even better: it's fast and easy to prepare – go from can to table in less than 10 minutes, perfect for a weeknight dinner or quick party appetizer.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans lentils*, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken or vegetable stock or broth (1 3/4 cups)
- About 1 1/2 cups leftover roasted vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 thin slices narrow loaf French bread (or 4 slices of larger loaf)
- 2 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1/2 cup)
* If you don’t find canned lentils with the beans, look for them in the natural foods section of the supermarket. Or substitute canned small white beans, or 1 1/2 cups dried lentils, simmered in 3 cups water for about 25 minutes or until very tender, then drained.
- Pour lentils into saucepan; partially mash potato masher or wooden spoon to break up some of lentils, which will thicken the soup.
- Add stock or broth, vegetables, oregano and thyme; bring to simmer and let cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet and top each with mound of cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is browned in spots.
- Season soup with salt and pepper and serve with croutons floated on top.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cabot Creamery Co-operative