New Year's Bean Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup lima beans
- 1/4 cup pinto beans
- 1/4 cup kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons navy beans
- 1/4 cup black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons lentils
- 2 tablespoons barley
- 2 tablespoons split green peas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 pounds ham or ham hock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash beans; cover with 2 quarts of water. Soak for 10 to 12 hours with baking soda.
- Add 1 quart water. Add ham and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove ham. Set aside to
- Add remaining ingredients to beans. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add cut up ham after fat and gristle are removed. Heat through.
Flavor improves if refrigerated overnight.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bean Soup Recipes