Senate Bean Soup
This is the famous soup served in the Senate dining room in Washington, DC.
- 1 pound dried navy, Great Northern or pea beans
- 1 large smoked ham hock
- 3 potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Wash beans and cover with 5 quarts water. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove
from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Bring again to boil and simmer, covered, 2 hours, or until beans begin to mush.
- Add all ingredients, except salt and pepper, and simmer 1 hour longer.
- Remove bone, cut up meat and return to soup. Season.
Makes 4 quarts.