Sweet Red Pepper and Crab Bisque
The addition of red bell pepper adds color and flavor to the traditional smooth
richness of bisque. Serve this soup with brunch or as a main course, with green
salad and crusty bread. You can make the bisque up to two days ahead; cover and
refrigerate it after pureeing.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Old Bay or other seafood spice
- 3 cups fish stock or bottled clam juice
- 1/2 cup diced peeled russet
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or skim evaporated milk
- 1 pound crabmeat
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper,
and seasoning. Cover; cook 10 minutes, stirring twice.
- Add stock and potato; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer
until potato is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to saucepan. Add half-and-half;
bring to a simmer. Mix in crab. Season to taste. Cover; let stand 1 minute.
- Ladle into bowls.