A delicious Corn Chowder with bacon, onion, potatoes and whole kernel corn.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (17 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces. Cook in a large saucepan until crisp. Remove bacon. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Add onion and celery. Sauté until onion is tender.
- Add potatoes, corn and liquid, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in remaining milk. Pour into corn mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil. Stir and boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in bacon. Heat for 5 minutes.
Yield: about 6 cups