Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans minced
or whole clams, drained (reserve liquid)*
- 2 cups finely chopped potatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can
- Cook onion in butter or margarine in Dutch oven until onion is tender.
clams, reserving liquid. Stir clam liquid, potatoes, water and celery into onion.
Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in clams and remaining
ingredients. Break up tomatoes with fork. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
* 1 pint shucked fresh clams with liquid can be substituted. Chop clams and add
with the potatoes.