New England Clam Chowder
- 1/4 cup cut-up bacon or lean salt pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans minced or whole clams, drained (reserve liquid)*
- 1 cup finely chopped potato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 cups milk
- Cook and stir bacon and onion in saucepan until bacon is crisp and onion is tender.
- Add enough water, if necessary, to reserved clam liquid to measure 1 cup.
- Stir clams,
liquid, potato, salt and pepper into onion mixture. Heat to boiling. Cover and cook
until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in milk. Heat, stirring occasionally,
just until hot (do not boil).
* 1 pint shucked fresh clams with liquid can be substituted. Chop clams and add
with the potatoes.