- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pasilla chile or 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 quart low-fat milk
- 3 cups 1/2-inch cubes hearty-textured bread
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 pound (50 to 60) small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add onion, pasilla and jalapeno. Saute, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in milk; bring to a low boil. Remove from heat.
- Place bread cubes in blender along with 2 cups of the milk mixture; puree until smooth. Return puree to remaining milk mixture in saucepan and re-warm over medium-high heat. Stir in corn, shrimp and cilantro. Cook until shrimp are pink and soup is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Yield: 4 servings of about 1 1/2 cups each