Cornmeal dumplings are excellent on many kinds of stews and have a more interesting
flavor than plain flour dumplings. You certainly can add other dried or fresh herbs
and spices, depending on the seasonings in the stew. These dumplings are particularly
easy because you use a packaged baking mix.
- 1 1/3 cups packaged baking mix, such as Bisquick or Jiffy
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley leaves, crushed
- Pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup milk plus more if needed
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Add the 2/3 cup milk and stir just until combined. If the dough seems too dry,
add a little more milk just until well moistened.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the top of a simmering stew over low
heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until dumplings are dry in the center.
Yield: about 8 medium dumplings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.