Farina Dumplings (Gnocchi alla Romana)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup farina or semolina
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat milk to scald. Reduce heat.
- Stir in farina and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in eggs, margarine, salt and pepper. Beat until smooth.
- Spread in a greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Cool.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours until firm.
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares or circles. Place overlapping in an ungreased dish.
- Dot with 1/4 cup butter.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. You can brown a little more under the broiler,