Never Fail Dumplings
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 medium egg
- 6 tablespoons cold
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Beat the egg well, then add the 6 tablespoons of cold water. Measure the water
- Add the oil and salt and whisk together.
- Mix the baking-powder and flour together.
- Blend the two mixes into a smooth batter quickly.
- Drop into boiling stew and cover continuing to boil for 15-20 minutes. Try to
resist the urge to peek too often - the dumplings will rise and produce a light
tender crust - a cold draught will cause them to fall.
Yield: 8 dumplings
They can also be served as a dessert by cooking in boiling water and served with
pancake syrup or jam drizzled over them.
Make Ahead: Mix up the dry ingredients into batches and store them in zip lock
bags ready to add liquid and the egg when ready to use them.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/19/01 4:53:32 pm.