Charleston She-Crab Soup
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound crabmeat (about 12 crabs)
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup orange crab roe
- Rind of 1 lemon, grated
- Sauté onion gently in the butter, add crabmeat, and set aside.
- Heat milk and cream in the top of a double boiler, add crab meat and onion,
seasonings and sherry. Cover, and let steep over very low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks, pour a little of the hot liquid into them, and then
stir the yolk mixture slowly into the soup.
- Put a spoonful of roe in each soup bowl, ladle in the soup, and sprinkle
the top with grated lemon rind.
Serves 4 to 6.