Florida Orange Bouillabaisse
Serve Florida Orange Bouillabaisse with crusty French bread and garlic mayonnaise.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups onions or shallots, thinly sliced
- 10 cloves garlic,
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound celery, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb
fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces Florida orange juice
ounces clam juice or fish broth
- 2 ounces white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 bay leaf
- Zest of 1/2 Florida orange
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 3 pounds of assorted fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces*
- 1 to 2
pounds of clams or mussels
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, crab, lobster meat or rock
- Heat a deep, heavy-bottom stockpot over medium heat. Add oil and onions; cook
until deep golden. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add tomatoes, celery, fennel and salt; cook, stirring occasionally for about
- Add orange juice, clam juice, wine, lemon juice, thyme, orange zest, saffron;
bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. When broth is flavorful, add fish fillets and clams;
simmer until fish is thoroughly cooked. Add shrimp; heat through.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
* Tilapia, halibut and cod work well in this recipe.
Recipe and photo credit: Florida Department of Citrus.