Creamy Tomato Soup with Herbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (for about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 teaspoon
bottled minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes seasoned with basil, garlic and
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-fat
milk, whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Plain or garlic croutons, for garnish (optional)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat the oil in a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Peel and
finely chop the onion and add it to the pot. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile,
open the tomato and tomato sauce cans.
- Add the garlic, and stir and cook 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes with their juices
and the tomato sauce. Raise the heat to high, and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the milk and parmesan cheese. Do not boil the
soup after the milk has been added. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the
heat and serve at once, garnished with croutons, if desired.
* For testing purposes, we used the Del Monte brand of diced tomatoes seasoned
with basil, garlic and oregano. If you can't find the seasoned tomatoes, add
1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and dried oregano with plain diced tomatoes.
Per serving: 181 calories (16 percent from fat), 3 g fat (1 g saturated),
7 mg cholesterol, 9 g protein, 31 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 1,725 mg sodium
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Soup Recipes