Beef Barley Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds beef short ribs with bones
- 5 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can
diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt,
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1/4 cup minced
- In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if desired and pepper;
bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs; cool. Skim fat. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces;
return to broth. Add carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or
until barley and vegetables are tender. Add parsley.
Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts)
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 3 meat,
1 vegetable, 1 starch
314 calories, 156 mg sodium, 72 mg cholesterol, 19 gm carbohydrate, 27 gm
protein, 15 gm fat
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meat Soup Recipes