Beef and Mushroom Soup
Hearty, chunky Beef and Mushroom Soup is perfect for any cold night and makes enough for lunch leftovers the next day! Or freeze the rest for up to 3 weeks. Lean beef and heart-healthy canola oil help keep saturated fat to a minimum.
- 1 pound (454 g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 2 (8 ounce/227 g) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning 15 mL
- 1 teaspoon chili powder 5 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes 1 mL
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 15 mL
- 6 cups reduced sodium or no-salt beef broth 1.5 L
- 2 cups diced squash 500 mL
- 1 (5 ounce/142 g) package baby spinach, chopped
- In soup pot, brown beef over medium-high heat. Into colander, scrape meat
and drain; set aside.
- Return same pot to medium heat and add oil. Add mushrooms, carrot,
celery, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and hot pepper flakes and cook,
stirring for about 15 minutes or until softened.
- Add beef and Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine.
- Pour in broth and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer
for about 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Uncover and stir in spinach; cook for 3 minutes or until spinach is
- Ladle into deep bowls to serve.
Yield: 12 servings; 1 cup (250 mL) each
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 110 Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g Cholesterol 20 mg Fiber 2 g Protein 12 g Sodium 105 mg
by Emily Richards
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.