Butter Balls Chicken Soup
The butter balls, very tiny dumplings, are called rivels in the West and dropsley in Ontario.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 pounds chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut chicken into portions. Place in a saucepan with celery leaves, bay leaf,
peppercorns, the one teaspoon salt and the water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer
over low heat for about one hour, or until chicken is tender. Strain, then return
broth to saucepan.
- Cut chicken into small pieces, add to broth with celery and parsley,
- To make the butter balls, cream butter, add eggs and beat. Gradually add flour
and the 1/4 teaspoon salt. Beat hard until it is like a very soft batter. Drop by
1/4 or 1/2 teaspoonsful into broth; cover and let stand for 5 minutes over low heat.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meat Soup Recipes