California Avocado Soup
with Roast Turkey
This homemade tortilla soup with garden-fresh ingredients like tomatoes, onions,
garlic and chiles and hearty roasted turkey is especially delicious topped with
Fresh California Avocados. It’s a great use for leftover Thanksgiving turkey and
also can be made with store-bought rotisserie chicken.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 small Spanish yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (optional), washed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 cups roasted or smoked turkey, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium, ripe Fresh California Avocado, diced
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- In a two-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat until hot.
- Working in batches, fry tortilla strips until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and reserve.
- Add onion to the same oil and sauté until clear.
- Add garlic and Anaheim chiles, cook until soft but not browned. Drain any excess
oil from the pan.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock and chopped cilantro if desired.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a heat-resistant blender or food processor and purée, or use
an immersion blender to purée.
- Return soup to pan and add turkey, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and chili powder.
Simmer until turkey is hot, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with avocado, cheddar cheese, and
reserved crispy tortilla strips.
Prep: 15 min | Cook Time: 40 min | Total Time: 55 min | Serves: 4
Calories per serving: 370; Fat per serving: 18 g
This soup is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber (22% DV) and Vitamin B6 (35%
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
California Avocado Commission.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meat Soup Recipes