Chinese Meatball Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen snow pea pods
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or canned bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2-inch cube fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Olive oil for roasting
- 1 pound lean ground beef, chuck or sirloin
- 3/4 cup oatmeal or bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced finely
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg
- Soup: Combine soup ingredients in large saucepan over low heat to simmer (reserve snow
pea pods and carrots for broiling or stir frying).
- Meatballs: Stir ingredients together, shape into 1 1/4-inch meatballs
and place on lightly oiled broiler pan. Spray lightly with an olive oil spray if
using very lean meat. Broil until nicely browned or bake at 400 degrees F for 15
- To roast the baby carrots, cut carrots in half, lengthwise. Rub in one or 2 tablespoons
olive oil, and sprinkle between the meatballs on the broiler pan. Do the same with
the thawed snow peas. Check while broiling, and remove carrots, snow peas and meatballs
as they begin to brown. Drain on paper towels briefly and add to soup. If you wish
to skip this step, you may alternatively brown the meatballs, snow peas and carrots
in a wok.
- With all ingredients now in soup, simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes and
season to taste with salt, pepper, a pinch of Chinese Red Pepper, if desired, and
a dash of soy sauce.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meat Soup Recipes