Chipotle Pork and Pepper Stew
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/2 pounds New York (top loin) pork roast, or boneless pork loin chops, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil,
or other neutral-flavored oil
- 2 to 4 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced*
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 bell peppers, ideally 2 different colors,
- 1 large red onion, or white onion, sliced
- 2 (14- to 15-ounce) cans
diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, or pinto beans or kidney
- 2 cups corn kernels, freshly sliced off the cob, canned (drained), or
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add
the pork, chipotles, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink
on the outside, about 4 minutes.
- Add the peppers and onion and cook, stirring occasionally,
until the peppers and onions are starting to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (with their juices) and 1 cup of water, scraping up any browned
bits on the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring
occasionally, until the pork, peppers, and onion are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans (with their juices) and corn and cook, stirring occasionally,
until heated through, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the oregano and additional salt to taste.
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Servings: 8
* You can find canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the ethnic or Latin
section of most major supermarkets.
There are a lot of ways to make this stew your own — for
example, you can adjust the heat by using more or less chipotles, or use different
colors of peppers, different types of beans, or different combinations of both.
You can serve it garnished with sour cream or avocado, or over rice or polenta.
On the side, try a crisp green salad and plenty of warm tortillas.
Nutrition Information Calories: 260 calories Protein: 20 grams Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 860 milligrams Cholesterol: 45 milligrams Saturated Fat: 2 grams Carbohydrates:
23 grams Fiber: 5 grams
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meat Soup Recipes