Croque Monsieur Soup
A twist on the classic French bistro sandwich - creamy cheese soup with ham,
topped with a thick slice of cheesy French bread - Ooh la la! Croque Monsieur roughly
translates to “Mister Crispy,” a traditional French ham and cheese sandwich with
toasted bread, covered with a béchamel sauce and more cheese, baked or fried.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large sweet onions, cut in half and thickly sliced (4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Progresso™
unsalted chicken stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese or Gruyère
cheese (10 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham (about 10 ounces)
- 3 teaspoons Dijon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices (1-inch thick) French bread
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat until sizzling. Cook
onions in butter 13 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are light golden
- Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Sprinkle flour on onion mixture; cook and stir
constantly 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered
10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream cheese; stirring constantly with whisk until smooth.
- Stir in half-and-half until blended. Slowly add 2 cups of the cheese, 1/2 cup
at a time, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
- Stir in ham, 2 teaspoons of the Dijon mustard and the salt; cook 3 to 5 minutes
or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, set oven control to broil. Place French bread slices on ungreased
cookie sheet. Spread remaining 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard evenly on cut sides of bread.
Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Broil with tops 5 inches from heat
1 to 2 minutes or just until cheese is melted and golden brown. Watch carefully
so cheese does not burn.
- Serve soup topped with bread slices and cornichons, if using.
Prep Time 30 min | Total Time 50 min | Servings 8
The long, slow cooking of the onions gives this soup its rich caramelized-onion
flavor and color.
Gruyère cheese is a rich, nutty, buttery-tasting form of Swiss, without the holes.
Nutrition Information – Serving Size: 1 Serving: Calories 720 Calories from
Fat 380 Total Fat 43g Saturated Fat 25g Trans Fat 1 1/2g Cholesterol 135mg Sodium
1370mg Total Carbohydrate 51g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 8g Protein 32g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 40% Iron 20%
Exchanges:1 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 1 1/2 Milk; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat;
Carbohydrate Choice 3 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meat Soup Recipes