Grandma’s Beef Barley Soup
Grandma's Beef Barley Soup is a classic featuring healthy whole grain barley!
Leftovers keep well in the freezer.
- 1 pound stewing beef cubes (or 3 cups/750 mL chopped cooked roast beef) 500 g
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided 45 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped carrots 500 mL
- 2 cups chopped celery 500 mL
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves 10 mL
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley 10 mL
- 2 bay leaves
8 cups reduced-sodium beef broth 2 L
- 1 (28 ounce/796 mL) can no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup pearl or pot barley 175 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 mL
- In a large soup pot, add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil and beef cubes; cook over medium-high until beef is browned. Remove from pan. (Omit this step if using cooked roast beef.)
- In same pot, add remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) canola oil, garlic, and onions. Sauté for about 6–8 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and continue to sauté for another 6–8 minutes.
- Stir in thyme and parsley and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Return beef to pan and add bay leaves, broth, tomatoes, barley and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.
Yield: 15 servings; 1 cup (250 mL) each
Nutritional Analysis Per serving: Calories 110 Total Fat 3.5g Saturated Fat 0.5g Cholesterol 5mg Carbohydrates 16g Fiber 3g Sugars 3g Protein 5g Sodium 350mg Potassium 159mg
by Patricia Chuey
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.