Peasant Soup (like Olga's)
- 4 cups water
- 1 small smoked ham hock
- 1 cup split peas or lentils, soaked
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
cup finely chopped onion
- 1 sprig parsley, cut fine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in pressure cooker; cook at 10 pounds for 45 minutes.
Remove ham hock; skin and dice; add to soup.
- Makes 6 servings.
- It turns out just as nice prepared in a regular soup pot. Here's how: Sauté
the carrots, celery and onion until slightly softened. Add the water, split peas,
ham hock, herbs and seasonings, cover partially and cook for about an hour on gentle
simmer. Remove ham hock, skin and dice and return to pot.
Per serving: 140 calories; 2 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat; 13 percent calories
from fat); 21 g carbohydrates; 8 mg cholesterol; 314 mg sodium; 11 g protein; 8.6
Source: Detroit News