Philadelphia Pepper Pot
- 1/2 pound honeycomb tripe
- 6 cups chicken stock*
- 4 slices bacon, cut into
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 green bell
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup diced raw potato
tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
cup heavy cream
- Cook tripe, rinse and cut into 1/4-inch cubes. Place in large kettle and add
- Fry bacon until crisp and sauté the onion, celery and green pepper
in the bacon drippings. Add to tripe and chicken stock. To this mixture add the
bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley and salt. Cover, and when mixture comes to the boiling
point, add diced raw potato. Cover and simmer gently for about 1 hour.
- Blend melted
butter or margarine with flour and stir into hot soup mixture. Season with additional
salt if necessary.
- Just before serving, stir in the heavy cream.
- Serve piping hot.
Serves 6 as a main dish.
* Or use 12 chicken bouillon cubes and 6 cups water, or 6 teaspoons chicken concentrate
with 6 cups water.