- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce)
cans chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Brown ground beef in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery
and garlic; cook 10 to 12 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and
pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine in small saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook over
medium-high heat, stirring, until deep brown. Whisk into soup; cover and simmer
15 minutes more.
Source: Ladies Home Journal - 1996