Turkey Carcass Soup
- 1 turkey carcass
- 6 quarts water
- 12 peppercorns
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, cut into eighths
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1 cup barley, uncooked, or 6 ounces medium egg noodles, uncooked
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce
heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove carcass from broth, and pick meat from bones; set aside.
- Measure 4 quarts broth, and return broth to Dutch oven; refrigerate remaining
broth for other uses. Bring broth to a boil. Add barley or noodles. If barley is added, reduce heat to medium, and cook
for 45 minutes. If noodles are added, reduce heat to medium and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add turkey meat, tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.