- 1 pound turtle meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 to 4 quarts water
- 1/4 cup beef stock concentrate
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sherry (optional)
- Lemons, thinly sliced (optional)
- Hardboiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- Sauté turtle meat in shortening until very brown. Add onions, celery and garlic.
Cook for 10 minutes; blend in flour, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Tabasco sauce, water,
beef stock and then all other ingredients. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until meat is
- Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sherry, hardboiled eggs, or lemon slices,
Yields 1 gallon.
Better made ahead of time. Freezes well.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Photo credit: aimeeorleans
>> Meat Soup Recipes