This minestrone recipe was found printed in a newspaper that was used as packing
around a wastebasket mail-ordered from Pennsylvania.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
dried Italian seasoning*
- 1 (15 ounce can great northern beans or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 1/2 cups
thinly sliced carrots
- 1 (6 ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups
- 1 cup dried small pasta shells
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
* If you don't have Italian seasoning, substitute 3/4 teaspoon dried basil,
crushed, and 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine beef, onion, oil, garlic, and salt. Bake, uncovered,
at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully stir broth,
water, and Italian seasoning into the beef mixture. Cover and bake about 1 hour
more or until beef is almost tender.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, carrots, and olives. Cover and bake 20 minutes more.
Stir in zucchini and pasta. Cover and bake about 20 minutes more or until pasta
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 8 to 10 main-dish servings.
Dietary exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
Nutritional facts per serving calories: 511 , total fat: 27g , saturated
fat: 9g , cholesterol: 88mg , sodium: 1200mg , carbohydrate: 32g , fiber: 6g, protein: