This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Cheesy Lasagna Soup
Lasagna in a bowl, chock full of what you love in regular lasagna, with the added 'Florentine' touch of spinach!
- 1 pound bulk sweet (mild) Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken stock
- 1-2 cups water
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (not no-boil), broken into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, plus additional for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Wisconsin ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin parmesan cheese, shredded
- Heat Dutch oven or large pot over high heat. Brown sausage for 5 minutes,
breaking up as it cooks.
- Add onions; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until onions are softened and sausage
is cooked through.
- Add garlic and red chile flakes; cook for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon.
- Add stock, 1 cup water, lasagna noodles, basil and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; cook at a gentle boil for 10 to 12 minutes,
until noodles are cooked through, stirring occasionally to prevent noodles from
sticking to pot.
- Stir in spinach. Add salt to taste. If soup is too thick, add additional
1 cup water. Remove from heat.
- To serve, divide mozzarella among 6 serving bowls. Ladle soup over cheese.
Top with spoonsful of ricotta, parmesan and additional basil.
prep time 10 minutes | cook time 30 minutes | servings: 6
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin