Smoky Pasta and Bean Soup
Warm up with this hearty soup. Serve with warmed bread sticks and a salad.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon hot
red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups canned
white beans, drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup macaroni OR other small
- Fresh Parmesan cheese, grated, optional
- In a large deep skillet, sauté bacon until some fat is rendered; add onion,
celery, carrot, garlic and red pepper to skillet and sauté until vegetables
are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, cook and stir occasionally for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in beans; add broth and bring to a gentle boil. Add macaroni (or other
small pasta) and continue cooking until pasta is tender, but still firm, about
- Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese if desired; or cover, refrigerate
and reheat gently to serving temperature.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition Information: Calories: 180 calories Protein: 10 grams Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 1310 milligrams Cholesterol: 10 milligrams Saturated Fat: 1 grams Carbohydrates:
Recipe and photo credit: National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.