Argentinean Stew in a Pumpkin Shell
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 3 white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 medium pumpkin
- Butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- Trim any excess fat from beef and cook with onion and garlic in oil until meat
- Add tomatoes, green pepper, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, sugar, apricots,
white potatoes, sweet potatoes and broth. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cut top off pumpkin and discard. Scoop out seeds and stringy membrane.
Brush inside of pumpkin with butter and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Stir
sherry and corn into stew and spoon into pumpkin shell. Place shell in shallow pan
and bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour, or until pumpkin meat is tender.
- Place pumpkin in large bowl and ladle out stew, scooping out some of pumpkin with
each stew serving.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.