Beef and Green Olive Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (14 to 14 1/2 ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can garlic-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (7 ounce) jar green olives with pimentos, drained
- Combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour
mixture. Lightly coat beef with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stock pot over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; adding
additional 1 tablespoon oil as necessary. Set aside.
- Add onions, oregano and fennel seeds to stock pot; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes
or until onions begin to soften.
- Add wine to pot; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 minute or until
browned bits attached to pot are dissolved. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, tomato
paste and reserved flour mixture. Return beef to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in olives. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.