Beef and Lentil Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 (14.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (1 pound) package Camellia Brand Lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy 6-7 quart stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to the pot and cook
until brown on both sides about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef to a bowl and reserve.
- Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme and cumin to the pot.
Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the pot. Add the broth and
tomatoes with their juice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
Cover and simmer until the meat is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Add the lentils to the pot. Cover and continue simmering until the
lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine and parsley. Season the soup, to taste, with salt
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 2 hr 10 min | Yield: 6-8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Camellia Brand®
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.