- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds stew meat or small chuck roast, cut up
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 onions, chopped, 1 quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef bouillon
- 1 1/2 cup red wine or sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 4 to 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packaged biscuit mix
- Salt and pepper meat; then slowly brown in bacon drippings on top of stove. Add
chopped onions and minced garlic; let brown. Pour bouillon over meat, scraping sides and bottom to get browned bits.
- Transfer meat and gravy to a Dutch oven or casserole.
Add wine, bay leaf and quartered onion. Put in 350 degrees F oven and bake, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and baste with gravy.
Continue to cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until vegetables and meat are tender. If
gravy is too thin, thicken with flour and water paste.
- Remove bay leaf.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.