Bistro Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef Bottom Round Roast or Shoulder Roast Boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 to 14 1/2 ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 12 ounces assorted small whole mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake and button)
- 2 cups packaged baby carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine flour and pepper. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture; reserve any remaining
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef;
remove from stockpot.
- Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot; season
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot. Add onions, garlic and thyme; cook
and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until
browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved.
- Stir in broth and reserved flour mixture.
- Return beef and juices to stockpot. Stir in mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce
heat; cover tightly and simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add carrots to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef
and carrots are fork-tender.
- Stir in peas; simmer for 5 minutes.
Total Time: 2 to 2 1/4 hours | Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.