Catfish Stew in Biscuit Bowls
This will bowl the family over—a delicious catfish stew swimming in a bowl made
of a flaky biscuit so you can sop up every last creamy spoonful.
- 1 can (16.3 ounces) Pillsbury® Grands!® Flaky Layers refrigerated
original or buttermilk biscuits
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 bag (12 ounces) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen mixed
- 1 jar (2.5 ounces) Green Giant® sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper
- 1 pound catfish or other white fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. On ungreased large cookie sheet, turn 8 (6-ounce)
custard cups upside down; spray outsides of cups with cooking spray. Separate dough
into 8 biscuits; press each to form 6-inch circle. Press each biscuit over bottom
and around side of each cup. Using fingers, press dough around each cup, forming
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove custard cups.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel.
Crumble bacon; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in saucepan.
- Cook onion in drippings 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
Stir in all remaining ingredients except catfish and cooked bacon. Heat to boiling.
Reduce heat to medium; stir in catfish. Cook uncovered, about 10 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until fish flakes easily with fork.
- Spoon stew into biscuit bowls.
Garnish with crumbled bacon.
Prep Time 30 min | Total Time 50 min | Servings 8
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 370 (Calories
from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 3 1/2g), Cholesterol
45mg Sodium 970mg Total Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 9g), Protein 19g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 50%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 10%; Iron15%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0
Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat;
1 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker.