Serve Chili Stew with mashed potatoes or rice, bean salad and chilled lager!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks,
- 1 green pepper, white pith removed, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 2 pounds (1kg) minced ground beef
- 14 ounces (440g) canned peeled tomatoes,
with the can juice reserved
- 5 ounces (155g) tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon hot chili
- 14 ounces (440g) canned kidney beans, drained
- 2 medium-size cooking
apples, cored and chopped
- 2 ounces (50g) prunes, stoned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons
- 4 ounces (100g) frozen French beans, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. When the oil is
hot, add the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic and fry, stirring occasionally,
for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent but not brown. Stir
in the minced (ground) beef and continue to fry, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir well to mix. Bring the liquid to
the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer the mixture for 30 minutes. Uncover
the pan and continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the
heat and serve at once.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark